Sawtooth Relay has set boundaries where teams are required to provide a volunteer to help with the event. All teams that have to drive approximately 4 hours to the course (Stanley or Ketchum) will be required to provide a volunteer. This should provide a fair volunteer requirement.
The volunteer requirement is defined by county. If a team has one athlete that resides in the following counties they will be required to provide a volunteer with their team entry.
Ada, Adams, Bannock, Bingham, Blaine, Boise, Bonneville, Butte, Camas, Canyon, Caribou, Cassia, Clark, Custer, Elmore, Franklin, Fremont, Gem, Jefferson, Jerome, Lemhi, Lincoln, Madison, Minidoka, Oneida, Owyhee, Payette, Power, Teton, Twin Falls, Valley, Washington
Box Elder, Cache, Weber
The Sawtooth Relay like all races and fun runs is not possible without the generous assistance of many volunteers and we offer our sincere thanks for your help. Volunteers will receive an embroidered, short sleeve t-shirt. After they have completed their assignment they are welcome to join their team for food, drink and music at Atkinson Park, Ketchum.
A volunteer that is required by the Sawtooth Relay assists the race organization. A van driver for your team is not a volunteer for the race organization.
A volunteer completes a registration form which is to be included with the team entry. A team entry will not be accepted if a volunteer form is required and it is not included in the team entry. Please click here for the Registration Form (you may type in the form, save and print to mail).
Only volunteer substitution forms are accepted after March 31. There is no fee to change volunteers.
A volunteer must:
- Be a minimum of 18 years of age,
- Work a minimum of 5 hours,
- Be able and willing to perform the tasks assigned, including lifting and carrying 30 lb. boxes, standing for the entire shift,
- Be willing to work in the very early morning,
- Provide their own transportation to and from the site,
- Check in and out with race officials at the assigned location,
- Bring warm clothes, food, and drink,
- Leave children and dogs at home.
If a volunteer is required and the team fails to provide a volunteer the team will be disqualified and will not be allowed to start.
If the volunteer fails to show up on time at the assigned location, sign in with the volunteer coordinator, work the entire shift as assigned, and check out with the volunteer coordinator, the team will be disqualified.
It is the responsibility of the team to find a volunteer replacement if needed.
Jobs assigned will be located at the start in Stanley, the finish in Ketchum, and at intersections and the 11 exchange sites along the course.
Volunteers can request assignments.
Volunteers assignments include:
- Start in Stanley Saturday morning
- Exchange 1
- Exchange 2
- Exchange 3
- Exchange 4
- Exchange 5
- Exchange 6
- Exchange 7
- Exchange 8
- Exchange 9
- Exchange 10
- Exchange 11
- Ketchum City Intersections
- Park set up, Atkinson Park, Ketchum, Saturday morning
- Food preparer, Atkinson Park, Ketchum, Saturday
- Food server, Atkinson Park, Ketchum, Saturday
- Finish Line
- Clean up during post-relay party
- Clean up and pack up, Atkinson Park, Ketchum Saturday afternoon and evening